Mountain Hawks have their season end in PL Quarterfinal loss to Bucknell
ANNAPOLIS, Md. – The Lehigh women’s tennis team ended the season in the quarter-finals of the Patriot League on Friday afternoon. The Mountain Hawks dropped the match 4-2 against Bucknell Bison. The browns and whites had won the last five meetings between the two schools.
The bison took an early 1-0 lead by scoring the colon. Bucknell’s best pair of Daniela Bellini and Cayla Koch defeated Paula Gonzalez and Leighanna Moskos 6-0. Ella Imhof and Casey Zhong dropped their match 6-2 against their opponents. Anshika Singh and Junmoke James had a 5-2 lead in their match before it was stopped.
In single. Imhof and Zhong recorded the only wins for the Mountain Hawks. Imhof won in straight sets 7-5, 6-3, while Zhong recovered from a difficult first set and won the last two 5-7, 7-5, 6-3.
The second James suffered a severe three-set loss in second place in the Mountain Hawks. After taking the first set 7-6, James dropped the next two sets and drew defeat. The second Buchinsky was another player who lost three sets. After splitting the first two sets to fourth, Buchinsky’s heartbreaking 7-6 loss in the third set was the deciding factor for Bucknell.
The senior Gonzalez just started the third set of her match at the top before the match was abandoned.
1. Gonzalez, Paula (LEHIGH) versus Daniela Bellini (BUC) 6-7 (4-7), 7-6 (7-5), 1-2, unfinished
2. Cayla Koch (BUC) def. James, Junmoke (LEHIGH) 6-7 (5-7), 6-3, 6-3
3. Imhof, Ella (LEHIGH) def. Tyne Miller (BUC) 7-5, 6-3
4. Sofia Ayuso (BUC) def. Buchinsky, Rachel (LEHIGH) 6-4, 1-6, 7-6 (7-2)
5. Laurel Utterback (BUC) def. Singh, Anshika (LEHIGH) 7-5, 6-3
6. Zhong, Casey (LEHIGH) def. Kate Novak (BUC) 5-7, 7-5, 6-3
1. Daniela Bellini / Cayla Koch (BUC) def. Gonzalez, Paula / Moskos, Leighanna (LEHIGH) 6-0
2. Tyne Miller / Laurel Utterback (BUC) def. Imhof, Ella / Zhong, Casey (LEHIGH) 6-2
3. James, Junmoke / Singh, Anshika (LEHIGH) v Sofia Ayuso / Kate Novak (BUC) 5-2, unfinished