Lehigh Falls to Early Second-Half Goal at Army West Point, 1-0

Next game:

in Bucknell

03/21/2021 | 13 o’clock

WEST POINT, NY – One game after scoring early in the second half, Army West Point returned the favor in Lehigh women’s football as a goal in the 50th minute turned out to be the difference in the Black Knights’ 1-0 win over Berg Hawks on Saturday night. In one competition, the army had a narrow lead of 6: 4 when it came to shots on goal.

“I thought we fought hard,” said Lehigh’s head coach Eric Lambinus. “We played a lot of players. We learned a lot about ourselves. There are a lot of things that we can get out of this game and move forward better.”

Saturday’s game took place against a Black Knights team that was eliminated after a 2019 Patriot League Championship game and a shortened 2020 fall season.

“I was super impressed with Army,” said Lambinus. “The army was good, they moved the ball fast, they were physical and they were fast. It just shows where we need to be. 90 minutes of competing and fighting and creating some chances was good. I definitely think that we can do it. ” better and learn from tonight and it shows that we can compete with any team in this league. “

The Mountain Hawks had the first four shots of the game, including the first shot on goal – from junior Rebecca Van Siclen in the 21st minute – and a dangerous chance from senior Mackenzie Anton, who sailed just over the crossbar in the 26th minute. The Army responded with the final four shots in the first half, two of which were saved by Miranda Royds, and the teams went goalless into half.

Mountain Hawks gained momentum in that first half with increased chances, starting with the first shot on goal at the foot of Van Siclen. Still goalless late in the first half.

Watch on ESPN + https://t.co/KQkuL6LUWF pic.twitter.com/qEy2mrY6X4

– Lehigh W. Soccer (@LehighWSoccer) March 14, 2021

Royds couldn’t stop a perfectly placed shot from Lauren Drysdale at 49:44 but found the top left corner of the net for a 1-0 lead for the Army. Royds made three saves in the second half, with the Mountain Hawks firing two shots on goal. Both were stopped by Sydney Cassalia as the Black Knights finished the 1-0 final.

“We got the ball in some pretty good places but we didn’t take advantage of it or pull the trigger,” said Lambinus.

The army ended up 12-6 ahead while the corners were even two apiece.

“We kept a really good team defensively,” said Lambinus. “We were super solid, even with a few line-up changes in the last minute. In the offensive third we need a little more rhythm and patience. It looked like we’d played against one of the top teams in the league for the first time after we didn’t was the case. ” play in a while. That’s the best way to describe it. Over time, we can build and get better. “

The Mountain Hawks will stay on the road next Sunday when they travel to Bucknell for an opening launch against the bison at 1:00 p.m.

Like Lehigh women’s football on Facebook, Consequences Twitter and Instagram for more updates on the Mountain Hawks.

Comments are closed.