Lehigh wastes opportunities in 2-1 loss to Loyola

Next game:


09/21/2021 | 19 o’clock


BETHLEHEM, Pennsylvania – The Lehigh men’s soccer team scored their first goal early in the first half, but a penalty equalization and a second goal in the second half gave Loyola Maryland a 2-1 win in Saturday night’s Patriot League opener in Ulrich Sports Complex. The Mountain Hawks (0-5-1, 0-1 PL) go into the new week and are still looking for their first win of the 2021 season.

“I liked our performance and our mentality tonight,” said Dean Koski, head coach of the Ingrassia Family men. “I thought we came to compete and we did. Frustratingly, I thought we didn’t execute in the last third on the first goal and on our defense. We have to be better when we push them into the box . ” what leads to this PK. We have to get better there.

“The most frustrating thing about this game is that we had 31 re-start opportunities on fouls and corners and 31 chances to throw the ball into the box and miss our dead balls. That is the attention to detail and that is up to us.” Coach to keep the team focused. In the Patriot League, reboots play a role and if you waste them you waste opportunities and I thought we wasted way too many. “

The very first shot of the game led to the first point when junior Dominic Flowers scored his first goal of the season, a third-minute goal to make it 1-0 for Lehigh.

The shots in the first half were a decent evening, with Lehigh holding the slim 7-5 cross in that category.

After Lehigh committed a foul in the penalty area, Loyola converted a Justin Ingram penalty to make it 1-1 in the 17th minute.

The Mountain Hawks finished the first 45 with a series of chances with Jack Sarkos and Stevo Bednarsky having blocked shots on the line in seconds before the whistle blew at the end of half.

Michael Tahiru started the second half with a shot from Chase Vosvick and Thatcher Cooper was blocked by a header, but it was Kelan Swales after assisting Ingram and Kevin Medrano who put the greyhounds 2-1 ahead.

Trying to control possession for the remainder of the game, Lehigh fired seven shots in the final four minutes, to no avail, with five saved shots and a shot on goal by Perry Kingson which was saved in the 90th minute.

Shots were 22-9 in favor of the Mountain Hawks, including a 15-4 cross in the second half. Lehigh also had a 10-1 advantage at corners, while fouls 21:15 were in Loyola’s favor.

Flowers led Lehigh with four shots, including two on goal with his early score, while Trevor Koski, Josh Luchini and Tahiru recorded three shots each.

Lehigh will return home at 7 p.m. Tuesday when UMBC arrives at the Ulrich Sports Complex. This non-league game will be streamed live on ESPN +.

Like Lehigh men’s soccer on Facebook, follow Twitter and Instagram for more updates on the Mountain Hawks.

Comments are closed.