Men’s Tennis drops heartbreaking match to Army in Patriot League Semifinals
BETHLEHEM, Pa. – The Lehigh men’s tennis team was there on Saturday afternoon, but the Army West Point Black Knights turned out to be too much and won the Patriot League semi-finals 4-2. The No. 3 Seed Mountain Hawks went No. 2 Seed Army from head to toe, but in the end it wasn’t enough.
The Black Knights began taking the lead by winning the colon against the Mountain Hawks. The Army’s top team from Woodman and Lake defeated Lehighs Zack Elliott and Steven Nazaroff 6-3. Then Harry Wang and Jacob Edelchik fell in 2nd place 6-4 against Huttepain and Eden from Army.
In the singles, Junior Elliott lost in straight sets in 1st place, 6-3, 6-4, and then Senior Edelchik dropped a 6-3, 6-3 match in 5th place. Despite the 3-0 deficit, the browns and whites stormed back and made things interesting after Gary Fishkin took a decisive win in straight sets 6-1, 7-6 (5) while Harry Wang took a victory in three sets took home. Setter, 6-4, 2-6, 6-2.
The 3-2 result was about Jordan Paul and Matt Kleiman in 3rd and 5th place. After the newcomer Paul dropped the first set 6-2, he stormed back and won the second set with the same number of points. The novice’s late attempt to claim victory was unsuccessful. Army’s David Gorshein took the third set 6-3 to claim victory for the Black Knights. The second Kleiman and his opponent were even in their third set by five when the match was stopped.
Army West Point will now reach the finals tomorrow at noon and face the Navy Midshipmen.
1. Diego Huttepain (Army) def. Zack Elliott (Lehigh), 6-3, 6-4
2. Harry Wang (Lehigh) def. AJ Woodman (Army), 6-4, 2-6, 6-2
3. Matt Kleiman (Lehigh) v Thomas Lake (Army), 6-1, 3-6, 5-5 unfinished
4. Sam Eden (Army) def. Jacob Edelchik (Lehigh), 6-3, 6-3
5. David Gorshein (Army) def. Jordan Paul (Lehigh), 2-6, 6-2, 6-3
6. Gary Fishkin (Lehigh) def. Jake Huarte (Army), 6-1, 7-6 (5)
1. AJ Woodman / Thomas Lake (Army) def. Zack Elliott / Steven Nazaroff (Lehigh), 6-3
2. Diego Huttepain / Sam Eden (Army) def. Harry Wang / Jacob Edelchik (Lehigh), 6-4
3. David Gorshein / Sam Haikal (Army) against (Matt Kleiman / Jeremy Learner (Lehigh), 6-1, 3-6, 5-5 unfinished