Mountain Hawks Close Out Fall Season With 5-2 Win Over Monmouth
BETHLEHEM, Pa. – The Lehigh women’s tennis team picked up its first win under head coach Olivia Leavitt on Saturday afternoon. The Mountain Hawks wrapped up their fall season with a 5-2 victory over Monmouth on the Ulrich Varsity Courts.
Lehigh opened up the match by sweeping doubles to take the early 1-0 lead. Senior Junmoke James and sophomore Allyce Gaborik picked up the first win of the match, defeating Monmouth’s Lauren Laundstrom and Ann Spurka 6-4 in the third flight.
Juniors Megha and Anushka Dania clinched the doubles point for Lehigh on Saturday afternoon. The Dania duo defeated Zoe Klapman and Jordyn Pax 7-5 at the No. 1 spot. To close out doubles play, sophomore Hamsa Javagal and first-year Avery Hopkey picked up the 6-4 win at the No. 2 spot.
James was the first Mountain Hawk to earn a win during singles play. The senior defeated Lenien Jamir 6-1 in the first set and was leading 2-1 before Jamir retired.
Javagal was the second member of the Lehigh women’s tennis team to pick up a win during singles play. Javagal defeated Klapman 6-4, 6-1 at the No. 1 spot to extend Lehigh’s lead to 3-0.
Megha Dania clinched the win for the Mountain Hawks on Saturday afternoon. Dania defeated Jordyn Pax 6-2, 6-1 at the No. 4 spot. Anushka Dania was the final member of the team to earn a win against Monmouth. The junior defeated Lana Brezanin 6-4 in two sets in the fifth flight.
Saturday’s match against Monmouth marks the end of Lehigh’s fall season. Complete results can be found below.
- M.Dania / A.Dania (Lehigh) def. Klapman v Pax (Monmouth) 7-5
- Javagal / Hopkey (Lehigh) def. McKinney/Brezanin (Monmouth) 6-4
- James / Gaborik (Lehigh) def. Shore Power / Spurka (Monmouth) 6-4
Order of finish: 3, 1, 2
- Hamsa Javagal (Lehigh) def. Zoe Klapman (Monmouth) 6-4, 6-1
- Junmoke James (Lehigh) def. Leni Jamir (Monmouth) 6-1, 2-1 retired
- Hana McKinney (Monmouth) def. Avery Hopkey (Lehigh) 6-3, 6-4
- Megha Dania (Lehigh) def. Jordyn Pax (Monmouth) 6-2, 6-1
- Anushka Dania (Lehigh) def. Lana Brezanin (Monmouth) 6-4, 6-4
- Lauren Laundstrom (Monmouth) def. Bella Peters (Lehigh) 5-7, 7-5, 10-7
Order of finish: 2, 1, 4, 3, 5, 6