Mountain Hawks Wrap Up Regular Season With 4-1 Win Over Bucknell
LEWISBURG, Pa. – The Lehigh men’s tennis team wrapped up its regular season with a huge victory over Bucknell on Saturday. The Mountain Hawks defeated the Bison 4-1 to finish the regular season with a program-record seven league wins.
Lehigh got off to a solid start early in the match, winning two doubles matches to secure the 1-0 lead going into singles play. At the No. 3 spot, juniors Michael Bukhalo and Matt Kleiman defeated Bucknell’s Nicolas Grunig and Charlie Nordahl 6-3.
With doubles tied at one, junior Jeremy Learner and first-year Marc Blekhman clinched the doubles point for Lehigh. The duo picked up their sixth win of the season, defeating Tim Zelikovsky and Michael Owen 6-4 in the second flight.
The Mountain Hawks showed no signs of slowing down during singles play. Bukhalo picked up his eighth win of the season, defeating Bucknell’s Nordahl 6-0, 6-0 at the No. 6 spot. Learner followed suit, also securing his eighth victory of the season, defeating Grunig 7-5, 6-1 in the fifth flight.
Kleiman secured the win for Lehigh, defeating Bucknell’s Nick Mueller 6-4, 7-6 (3) at the No. 2 spot. The junior secured his 12th victory of the season on Saturday and is currently tied with seniors Zack Elliott and Gary Fishkin for singles wins this season.
Lehigh will return to Bethlehem to prepare for the Patriot League Championships which will be held in Annapolis, Md. from April 28 to May 1.
- Gold / Mueller (Bucknell) def. Elliott-Fishkin (Lehigh) 6-3
- Learner / Blekhman (Lehigh) def. Zelikovsky-Owen (Bucknell) 6-4
- Bukhalo / Kleiman (Lehigh) def. Grunig v Nordahl (Bucknell) 6-3
- Zack Elliott (Lehigh) vs. Harrison Gold (Bucknell) 6-2, 6-7(4), 2-1 DNF
- Matt Kleiman (Lehigh) def. Nick Mueller (Bucknell) 6-4, 7-6 (3)
- Marc Blekhman (Lehigh) vs. Michael Owen (Bucknell) 7-6 (6), 1-2 DNF
- Tim Zelikovsky (Bucknell) def. Gary Fishkin (Lehigh) 6-3, 6-3
- Jeremy Learner (Lehigh) def. Nicolas Grunig (Bucknell) 7-5, 6-1
- Michael Bukhalo (Lehigh) def. Charlie Nordahl (Bucknell) 6-0, 6-0